Translate

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Filomena de Andrade Booth Fine Art Paintings



The Best Paint Palette for Acrylics

It's taken me many years to find the perfect palette for acrylic paints, and believe me, I think I've tried them all.  I like to be able to have enough space to mix my colors, so small palettes do not work for me.  I like to store my left over paints in a sealed stay-wet palette, but even that is too small to allow me enough room to "play".  Finally, after trying out different ideas, I decided to order a 24" x 30" plate glass sheet.  It works wonderfully with my acrylics, it's easy to clean and allows me plenty of space to keep my colors from intermixing, unless I want them to.  I placed a sheet of white paper under the glass to allow me to see the colors correctly.  I also like to spray water on the the paints to prevent them from drying out too fast.  Cleaning the glass is actually fun!  When I'm finished painting, I scoop up the clean paints and store them in my stay-wet palette.  After letting the paints on the palette dry out, usually overnight, I spray it with water and use a paint scraper to peel up the "skins".  Some artists like to use the skins in their work...I don't.  

Whatever you do, don't use a piece of plexi as a paint palette with acrylics! 
Acrylics are plastic and stick to plastic like glue! 

Before

during

after



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails